Academic-Year Research Accelerator Program (AYRA REU)
The University of Washington Molecular Engineering Materials Center (UW MEM·C) Academic-Year Research Accelerator (AYRA REU) program is focused on expanding students’ prior research experiences. The academic-year program will help bridge gaps in the STEM pathway for those who may otherwise need work-study or other employment to support their education. MEM·C AYRA students will spend 10-20 hr/week on research for two or three academic quarters, and training will include professional development including resume training and internship searches, to help them advance along the STEM pathway.
If selected you will be embedded in one of the MEM·C labs for the academic year. You will work with graduate students and faculty to develop a research project, gain training in relevant techniques and instrumentation, collect data, write-up your results and craft presentations. Students participate in seminars on undergraduate research and professional development, and are also included in MEMC IRG meetings and seminars.
- Duration: Either two (2) or three (3) academic quarters, following the 2022-2023 UW Academic Calendar.
- Dates: The due dates have passed (09/26/2022 and 12/09/2022) and we are no longer accepting applications for this academic year.
- Stipend: $2100/quarter
The program is designed to open doors for those who would like to expand their undergraduate research experience. All applicants to the academic year REU program are required to have previous experience in any REU program, not necessarily an REU program at UW. You will be asked questions about that prior experience in the application and it is expected to be listed on your resume. Open to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and DACA recipients.
- Personal statement (250 words): How did your previous REU experience shape your academic trajectory? Consider explaining any research products that resulted from that previous REU experience. How would this academic year REU extend your prior research and how does this REU fit into your career plans?
- CV: Must include a listing of all education, training, and work experience and your unofficial transcript. Make sure to list your prior REU experience. Please combine into one PDF file named “Lastname_CV.pdf”.
- Professional Recommendations (2 people): Please provide email addresses for two people who can provide a professional recommendation.