Research Experience for Undergrads
The University of Washington Molecular Engineering Materials Center (UW MEM·C) summer REU program is focused on exposing underrepresented minorities and veterans to a viable and relevant career pathway focused on materials and energy research.
Our Focus: Materials Resilience and Innovation
Undergraduates, including veterans, will find that the research topics are both challenging and relevant to their experience. How can we provide mobile, lightweight, and inexpensive energy sources to our forces and to the communities they work with? How can materials research lead to new electronics that are super miniaturized, low energy consumption, and reliable? How can new kinds of sensors be used to improve safety, efficiency, and effectiveness?
If selected you will be embedded in one of the MEM·C labs for 9 weeks. You will work with a graduate student and faculty to develop a research project, gain training in relevant techniques and instrumentation, collect data, and finally produce a poster and research abstract. Students participate in a weekly seminar on undergraduate research covering research ethics, writing a research abstract, making a scientific poster. Students participate in a weekly Materials Science special interest group in which they read scientific journals or tour other labs.
- Duration: 9 weeks
- Dates: June 21 to August 20, 2021
- Stipend: $5000
- Travel and Housing: On-campus housing, $600 food allowance
- Application Deadline: March 5, 2021
The program is designed to open doors for those who would like to explore new career options. A solid math and science high school preparation will be sufficient. Work-based experience will also be factored in. Open to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. See the list of possible research labs.
- Personal statement (250 words): How does this fit into your career plans? Why do you believe that you are prepared to be successful? What research focus interests you the most?
- CV: Must include a listing of all education, training, and work experience and your unofficial transcript. Please combine into one PDF file named “Lastname_CV.pdf”.
- Professional Recommendations (2 people): Please provide email addresses for two people who can provide a professional recommendation. We will contact them to request a letter and provide details.